Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A beach, a burn, and a ballet.

Saturday was my first beach day of the summer, and it was major. Temperatures were in the 90s, but the breezes near the water made it relatively lovely. As always seems to happen, we went out with just a couple friends and managed to run into about a dozen more (so popular, I know). Impromptu beach party!


On the train home I started noticing some faint pinkish splotches on my knees and the tops of my feet, which any seasoned pale-face knows is a harbinger of future pain.  By evening time it was clear that I'd maybe, just maybe, missed a couple spots.  But I've definitely had worse, and it was worth it for time spent with friends soaking up some vitamin D (as well as like 50 Golden Oreos).

 Then it was off to the Metropolitan Opera House for the American Ballet Theatre's production of Swan Lake.  Going to the Met has been on my NYC bucket list for a while so I jumped at the chance to go, especially since it was freaking Swan Lake.

[source]
 

I'm not a dancer, but it has always been a secret wish of mine to be a talented ballerina, if only for a day.  (I once had a dream that I made it to the Top 4 of So You Think You Can Dance, and I remember being super confused as to how I'd made it that far.)  I'm always amazed when dancers can do such difficult and athletic things with their bodies while somehow looking flawlessly graceful and light as a feather.  The ABT dancers were wonderful, and I was constantly in awe of their beautiful shapes and lines, as well as the obvious power with which they danced.  I also really love Tchaikovsky, so it was just a fantastic way to spend a couple hours and the perfect end to a pretty lovely day.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you're NOT a dancer? What about all those recitals where I witnessed you pirouetting about under the expert tutelage of Mme. Gotthart? I'm glad you finally made it to the Met, even if you were on the wrong side of the footlights.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...