Thursday, January 20, 2011

Firsts.

So with the beginning of a new year, I'm already looking forward to a couple of new experiences I'll be having in the near(ish) future.

One of them is a trip, probably in September or October. I've been wanting to take a big trip for a while, because it's been a few years since I've left the country (I don't count my weekend in Montreal last year, since Canada is basically America Junior). (Just kidding, Canada, don't be offended! Your citizens are actually extremely nice and friendly and your crepes are delicious.) Anyway, where the "first" comes in is the destination: Africa or South America. I'm very lucky to have been several places in Europe, and while I absolutely love it there, I want to try something different. Originally the plan was to go to Egypt, along with spending a couple days in Istanbul. I still really want to do that, but recently another idea has been forming: Machu Picchu*. I'm talking the 4-day Inca Trail hike through the Andes that finishes with a sunrise arrival at the ruins.



And now I'm torn, because both trips sound really awesome and don't worry, I've already spent hours on Lonely Planet and TripAdvisor planning both of these getaways and I have them all budgeted out, and they will cost roughly the same amount. So, thoughts? Where should I go? And also, do you want to come with me?

The other first showed up in my inbox the other day in the form of an email confirmation:



It's happening. November 6. On my last day of being 26, I plan to run 26(.2) miles for the first time in my life. Cute, right? And also mildly terrifying. So if you want to come and make some signs and cheer me on, I would be fine with that.

*I included the Wikipedia link for people who don't know what Machu Picchu is. When I mentioned to my friend that I was thinking about it, he stared at me blankly until I showed him a picture. He then claimed that if I'd just called it "Peru Mountain City" he would have totally known right away.

7 comments:

  1. machu picchu. are you kidding me? that is so awesome. we actually researched it a little while ago, book early because they only let a certain amount of people start every day and it's super crowded (but you probably already knew that.) Africa would be amazing too, but the changing political climates and unrest would make me a little nervous to plan a big expensive trip (oh, and I guess the part where my head might get chopped off.) Seriously, machu picchu would be so awesome.

    Also, when we were in Florence we ran into some people from Istanbul and we talked about how we might add a couple days to go there. they said not to. they were like, our country used to be super awesome to visit and now it's not anymore, you'd be better off going to these other places...etc etc.

    I don't know, both would be super cool but jordan and i have talked up machu picchu so much together that i want everyone to go to tell me how awesome it is.

    and that's my story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why Thailand wasn't on your list of places to go. Ok, with the political craziness that has gone on there lately, I don't blame you....but still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to go to machu picchu with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to go to machu picchu. Chris served his mission in peru and is dying to go back. I would be your chaperone, but I will be about 500 pounds and ready to explode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is seriously hard. But I, too, say Machu Picchu. I'm afraid you'll go to Egypt, see pyramids and stuff and be like, "Hmm, now I've seen them." Okay, that's obviously an exaggeration, because I'm sure they're amazing and that there are a lot more amazing things to do in Egypt and Istanbul. But you sold me at "sunrise arrival at the ruins." HELLO! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't really care where you go just take me with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd bet with all of the stuff going on in Egypt right now there isn't much more of a question, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...